[sane-devel] xsane - a suggestion

Wed, 19 Sep 2001 17:40:59 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 04:04:00PM +0200, Christoph Kukulies wrote:
> Yes, thanks. I read this. But gimp may be overkill for the physicists
> and their work here. Although I appreciate gimp as an extremely
> powerful tool.

As Gimp is only loaded once and then all the images are handled by
this instance of gimp I don't think it does really matter (except if
you have too little RAM). I'm using gimp for image viewing all the
time because it doesn't have the bugs/problems some viewers have.

> The typical task is to scan some b/w plots from a book or publication,
> and put it as an EPSI into a LaTeX document.
>
> Well, needs and demands may vary. I will set out perhaps to test other
> frontends. If xsane had some post-scan-exec feature, that would be nice.
> E.g. when the scan has finished, launch an external application or 'massage'
> script that converts the scan to something appropriate or pops up xv or
> another image manipulation program.

You may try the frontend QuiteInsane. This program puts the scanned
image in a window and then you can save it to a file. I haven't done
that many scans with it, however, so I can't comment on its stability
or flexibility.

It depends on what you want to do exactly: When I want to scan lots of
pages e.g. photos or papers for presentation on the web, I usually use
pure xsane and set up the options by using the preview function. Then
I just change the papers and press the scan button for each one. XSane
does the saving and nameing ("page-001.pnm, page-002.pnm, ...) for me.
If I want to scan some pages with differnt options (e.g. only small
part of the page or different brightness) I usually use xsane as a
gimp plugin for viewing the results and manipulation.