[sane-devel] mustek 600 usb scanner back-end

Marcus Alanen maalanen@ra.abo.fi
Sun, 23 Sep 2001 19:26:42 +0300 (EEST)

Hi! I've just got a Mustek 600 USB scanner, but there seems to be no
backend. I was thinking of writing it, but first I thought of asking
this list:

- How easy/hard is this to do? I have no technical documentation about
the scanner, and neither do I know anything about scanners in general.
Or USB, for that matter. I would however claim to be a good
programmer.
- How are Mustek scanners in general? Can I use the USB part from some
other scanner and otherwise use backend/mustek* routines?
- According to the manual page, "USB scanners are not supported
by this backend by now". Why?

I did already find the Vendor & Product ID of the scanner,
(P:  Vendor=055f ProdID=0873 Rev= 1.00)
so the linux kernel's scanner module detects it properly.

Suggestions, opinions etc are welcome.

--
Marcus Alanen
maalanen@abo.fi