[sane-devel] Problems with Microtek Scanmaker-III, Solaris 8, sgen driver, xsane

Tue, 9 Apr 2002 18:23:10 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 07:40:31PM +1000, Craig Dewick wrote:
> No, it didn't change anything. However, what I have noticed is that
> running sane-find-scanner with no device name specified, but using the -v
> option, produces a whole list of device names which do not even exist on
> my system! I don't have the 'scg' or the 'sg' drivers, but by default the
> program tries to locate /dev/scg01 through to /dev/scg2g, and /dev/sg/0 to
> /dev/sg/6,

That's the way sane-find-scanner works. It has a fixed list of devices
and tries to open them.

> but it does not even bother to try using searching for scanners
> which might be attached to the Solaris 'sgen' driver which places device
> handles for the 'scanner' type in /dev/scsi/scanner.  8-)

Currently there is no code in sane-find-scanner to do things like
"check all the files in that directory". But I will add an entry to
the TODO list. Or do you want to provide a patch :-)?

> That's a bit wierd. Has anyone actually built support for using the 'sgen'
> driver into the SANE libraries? It seems that something is expecting the
> driver to behave like the 'scg' or 'sg' drivers, as that's the only thing
> that, IMHO, could explain the 'invalid argument' error messages being
> returned by both xsane and xscanimage when I specify the device name in
> backend-name:device-name format.

As sane-find-scanner reports your scanner, at least the basic SCSI
communication seems to work.

Maybe the author of README.solaris can help, his email address is at
the end of the file.