[sane-devel] SANE2 proposal

Oliver Rauch oliver.rauch@rauch-domain.de
Sun, 14 Apr 2002 22:58:55 +0200

Nick Lamb wrote:

> * 4.5.4 needs some information to explain what happens when you have
> a scan area set, and want to set a new one which doesn't intersect.
> There have been problems with this in the past.

added:
\item A frontend may temporarily set the values in a way that
\code{tl-x} is larger than \code{br-x} and \code{tl-y} is larger than
\code{br-y}.

> * The opening assumption in 4.5.14 doesn't seem right to me. How can
> multiple frontends have simultaneous access to a unique resource like
> a SCSI scanner? Has anyone considered separating the scan button
> functionality from SANE so that it can e.g. launch a frontend ?

Already in SANE1 it is possible that several frontends can open the same
backend. (the device file shall not be kept open in the backend when
sane_open is called, it only is necessary that the device file is locked
when sane_start is called!).
This way several frontends can be started with the same backend open and
may try to look at the buttons.

> * 4.5.7 could do with some clarification, maybe even an example. I
> think what's written here is correct, but if I didn't already understand
> it I'm not sure the text of 4.5.7 would help.
>
> I think there are some "Note for backend/ frontend maintainer" sections
> in my draft which aren't present in this one and I'll try to dig those
> out (or someone else can, the draft is public)

4.5.7 is Scan mode options, I do not know what is not clear here.

> In many places this version of the standard gets very chatty, almost
> to the point of saying "Well guys, you know, try to play nice". Which
> is not what anyone wants from a standard. The worst thing about the
> W3C HTML standards is that they rarely say anything concrete, and SANE
> got this right in the first revision by being very specific. It's a
> standards document, not an statement of personal philosophy :)

Ok. This is the point where you should start writing constructable
suggestions and not only comments.

Bye
Oliver

--