[sane-devel] GUI for sane configuration

Oliver Rauch oliver.rauch@rauch-domain.de
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 00:29:40 +0200

Richard wrote:

> It's nice to think ahead and look forward.
> But how about simplifying the backend setup ?
> Henning I did not answer your previous answer as to what i meant.
> First printconf gui is a simple interface to make printer setup easy.
> Yes i do understand that there are manuals and all.
> But if i refer to the contents of this list which i follow religiously
> there needs some way , ex for my Mustek scanner ,i got to modify many files
> and adjust many parameters manually, to simplify the backend configuration.
> Im by no means a programmer but the average Joe next door, the whole backend
> configuration could certainly be made easier by making a gui for it.
>
> Ex  open the Sane-config  gui.. scrool the list of supported  scanners
> click on it,adjust preferences ,if any,press the test button.
> Works ? fine !  Then exit  : )

Hello Richard,

I also thought about a sane GUI configuration tool about 2 years ago.
But this is not the correct approach. The backends and the backend
configuration files have to come in a way that all scanners work
without any user interaction. The sane standard allows this.

But this only works when the users send enough feedback to
the programmers so that programmers know what they have to change.

Bye
Oliver

--
Homepage:	http://www.rauch-domain.de