[sane-devel] Media MD 9705 Scanner

mh crapsite@gmx.net
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 06:41:47 +0200

Martin Moeller, Sonntag, 14. April 2002 21:00:
> Hello everyone.
>
> I took a chance this Friday and bought a Medion MD 9705 Scanner, and much
> as I expected it isn't supported yet by Sane. I did some digging and as far
> as I can tell, it is really an Artec e+48U scanner. No Artec USB scanners
> are apparently supported yet, though. Is work being done in this area?
> It's an USB scanner (strangely enough)
> It has a Vendor ID of 0x05d8
> It has a Product ID of 0x4003
> According to the Windows driver .ini file, it's an Artec48U.
>
> Scouring the net, it looks almost exactly like the Artec e+48U, as
> witnessed here -> http://www.artec.com.tw/artec_e/index.htm (Click on the
> Ultima 2000 e+). I am not sure as to the actual hardware of the thing, but
> it doesn't see to be GT6801 based (it didn't do anything when I tried the
> experimental driver at http://www.btinternet.com/~salet/). The scanner
> described there is supposed to be an Artec Ultima 2000, though, and that
> sounds rather a lot like what I have....
> If I can help with more information/testing, I'd be happy to, but I'm
> afraid I cannot program the backend myself.
>
> As far as I can piece together, the Ultima 2000 is a predecessor of Ultima
> 2000 e+ (also known as e+ 48U) -- Also known as Medion MD 9705 and who
> knows what else.
> So: Where should I go from here?

Hi,
I've also got my hands on one of the scanners sold by Aldi, a german
discounter, last week (at least for the next 2 or 3 weeks). It's called
Tevion MD 9693, and has the same vendor/product id like yours. I also came to
the conclusion, that it's in fact an Artec e+48U. Since it's definitely based
on a GT 6816 chip, I've downloaded Sergey Vlasovs testprogram. After some
hacking, I finally got it to scan something. The result isn't very useful; in
fact, you can only recognize something in grayscale mode with 100 dpi. In
color mode, it just hangs. I will do more testing (as said before, at least
for the next 2 or 3 weeks), but unfortunately, I'm not very familiar with usb
sniffers and logfile interpretation :-)
However, I could send you the hacked version of the testprogram, if this
might be a help.

Michael