[sane-devel] GUI for sane configuration

Oliver Schwartz Oliver.Schwartz@gmx.de
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 22:38:35 +0200

Hi,

> I also thought about a sane GUI configuration tool about 2 years ago.
> But this is not the correct approach. The backends and the backend
> configuration files have to come in a way that all scanners work
> without any user interaction. The sane standard allows this.

I think there are cases where user interaction is still necessary. Consider
for example the path to a firmware file which has to be configured. Since
firmware files cannot be freely redistributed this would be very hard to do
without user interaction. Another example are scanner types for USB scanners
on systems that don't support vendor / product ID queries via ioctl.

If there was a GUI for such settings the SANE installation for the average
user could be much simpler.

Regards,

Oliver