[sane-devel] SANE2 proposal

Tue, 16 Apr 2002 20:00:50 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 11:29:01PM +0200, Oliver Rauch wrote:
> > Ok. I append a LaTeX code for a revised chapter "Image data format". I
> > mostly moved paragraphs around. I removed the exact descriptions for
> > the old frame types. Added references to sane_get_parameters. Added
> > definition of the order of bits in 1-bit modes.
> >
> > What do you think about it?
>
> Ok. applied your version.

Fine :-) Better read it through as I haven't checked it thoroughly.

> > > There is a describing point formatdesc in sane_get_parameters. What
> > > do you think about?
> >
> > That's ok. I just wanted a link to that desription (\ref{some_section}).
>
> Where shall I put the ref?

It's already in the text you applied.

> > >From the words of the current standard you are not allowed to change
> > the option descriptor (at least that's my interpretation).
> > E.g. you can't change a constraint or string list.
>
> I don`t think it makes sense to allow to e.g. change an option from a
> constraint_range to a word_list. If a backend needs this then it has to
> define one option as word_list and another option as range and disbale
> the one and enable the other. But this does not work with well known
> options because an option name has to be unique.
>
> I think it is possible to change the list items of a list.

Currently it's forbidden. But it can also make sense to change the
constraints (not the constraint type). E.g. for a different scan area
for normal and transparency adapter mode (the mustek backend currently
does this). Or a maximum resolution that varies with the mode (lineart
2400 dpi, color 1200 dpi). Currently that's not allowed.