[sane-devel] GUI for sane configuration

Christian Fughe Christian Fughe <c.m.fughe@wtb.tue.nl>
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 22:55:39 +0200

On Mon, 15 Apr 2002, Oliver Rauch wrote:

> But this only works when the users send enough feedback to
> the programmers so that programmers know what they have to change.

Feedback:

When I switch to a newer version of sane, it nearly works out of the box
for me. Since I do scan over a local Ethernet, the only thing I have
to do is to add the address of the scanning machine to saned.conf and
the address of the frontend machine to net.conf. To be sure not to mix
different versions, I do uninstall the old version first and install
the new version afterwards.

Once upon the time, when I started using the net-backend, I struggled for
a while until I got the appropriate changes for saned in the '/etc/*'
files working.

Suggestion:

I suggest to add more options to the './configure ... and Makefile.in'
scripts to make the knowledge of the wizards available to the wide area of
general users as well as for generating a personal configuration. I do not
miss a GUI for configuration.

When I try new software, it became pretty standard for me to have a look
at the output of './configure --help' and the files INSTALL and README.
I do expect all information in these three sources to get the new software
compiled, installed, and running within a short time.  I think it is a
good idea, that the common commands for installation

./configure  ...
make
make install

do everything under the sun for sane too. I look at the sane-backends as a
kind of drivers. Once a new pice of hardware with the appropriate driver
is integrated and configured I expect the driver not to ask more
questions.

My Configuration:

SuSE Linux 7.1
kernel upgrade to 2.4.18 on the frontend machine
kernel 2.2.18 on the scanning machine
sane-1.0.7
scanner is Mustek 6000CX scsi

Thanks for this valuable pice of software!

Christian Fughe <c.m.fughe@wtb.tue.nl>