[sane-devel] sane under cygwin

Thu, 18 Apr 2002 20:11:21 +0200

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 07:47:06AM +0100, Jim George wrote:
>     for various reasons I've moved from SuSE to cygwin and I want to know if
> I can bring sane with me as it appears to be the best/easiest way for me to
> offer remote scanning to the rest of my home network clients.

XSane runs on Windows using cygwin. It can't use local scanners so you
can only go the other way round. XSane is linked against the net
backend, so this one is ported, too.

>     I saw on the list, a long time ago, that someone had been successful
> with this venture.  My question is, can someone point me at a reference or
> person to get me started on this?

Oliver Rauch at least once wrote into the PROJECTS file:
"win32 port of SANE (planned)".

I have never tried but I guess porting the infrastructure and the
backends is possible but will take time. The main problem is,
that you need access to the SCSI, USB and parport system to access the
scanners. I guess that will be quite a lot of work.

By the way: Would it be possible to write a TWAIN-SANE bridge? That
means, accessing TWAIN scanners on a Windows system by SANE on a Unix
system?