[sane-devel] sane/xsane on Mac OS X?

Olivier Chararas ochararas@mac.com
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 12:47:27 +0200

paul beard wrote :

>> > Try what the linker proposes: cd lib ; ranlib liblib.a
>> >

> Hmm, that fixed it: I used the same thing on another instance when
> libsanei was the culprit. See below.
>

>> /usr/bin/ld: archive: ../sanei/libsanei.a has no table of
> contents, add one with ranlib(1) (can't load from it)
>
>                         /usr/bin/ld: warning multiple definitions
> of symbol _locale_charset
> /sw/lib/libintl.dylib(localcharset.lo) definition of
> _locale_charset
> /sw/lib/libiconv.2.dylib(localcharset.lo) definition of
> _locale_charset                                   make[1]: ***
> [xscanimage] Error 1
>                             make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>
>     (paul@pink)-(01:50 PM / Mon Apr  8)
>
> and it's all made.

Hello, i'm a newbie here (and even on mailing lists)

I also tried a few days ago to buil SANE 107 on OSX 1.4 and
except for canon (which I commented out temporarily) it seems to build
and install.

BUT :
if I then try "scanimage --list-devices" it seems to run OK but no
device is identified (i didn't dreamed of my Apple OneScanner first
time...), not even the pnm pseudo-device.

there seems to be no pnm library similar to, say, Apple OneScan.

furthermore, although i tried to understand the architecture and build
process, i'm clueless about the make output :

installing libsane-apple.la in /usr/local/lib/sane...
/usr/bin/install -c .libs/libsane-apple.lai
/usr/local/lib/sane/libsane-apple.la
/usr/bin/install -c .libs/libsane-apple.a
/usr/local/lib/sane/libsane-apple.a
ranlib /usr/local/lib/sane/libsane-apple.a
chmod 644 /usr/local/lib/sane/libsane-apple.a

Libraries have been installed in:
    /usr/local/lib/sane

If you ever happen to want to link against installed libraries
in a given directory, LIBDIR, you must either use libtool, and
specify the full pathname of the library, or use `-LLIBDIR'
flag during linking and do at least one of the following:

See any operating system documentation about shared libraries for
more information, such as the ld(1) and ld.so(8) manual pages.

Am i missing some step ? Any hint please ?

About managing SCSI, you can find sample code at
http://developer.apple.com/samplecode/Sample_Code/Archive/Devices_and_Hardware/SCSI/SCSI_Inquiry.htm
(old manager)
or
http://developer.apple.com/samplecode/Sample_Code/Devices_and_Hardware/SCSI.htm
(manager 4.3)

They are running in Classic but none of them can see my OneScan.

Regards.