[sane-devel] NEWS for sane-backends-1.0.8

Wed, 24 Apr 2002 19:26:42 +0200

Hi,

This is the first version of the NEWS file for sane-backends-1.0.8.
Please have a look at the text and tell me about any missing or wrong
entries.

By the way: We have 9 (nine) new backends and 17 (seventeen) updated
backends. Both numbers are higher than ever before for a SANE release.

New with 1.0.8, released 2002-05-27:

* New backends: canon_pp (Canon parport scanners), canon630u (CanoScan 630u
  + 636u), coolscan2 (Nikon Coolscan LS-30, LS-40 ED, LS-4000 ED, and
  LS-8000 ED), fujitsu (M3091, M3093, M3096 and similar scanners),
  leo (Leo/Across FS-1130 scanner), matsushita (Panasonic KV-SS scanners),
  sceptre (Sceptre VividScan S1200), teco1 (some Teco/Relisys flatbed
  scanners), test (test frontends and SANE installation).
* Updated backends: avision, canon, dc240, dll, epson, gphoto2, mustek,
  mustek_usb, net, plustek, pnm, sharp, sm3600, snapscan, umax, umax_pp, v4l.
* New translations for several backends (de, es, fr).
* Networking supports hosts without working DNS now.
* SCSI system ignores USB files and doesn't block (Linux).
* New test frontend and backend for testing SANE.
* Several build system improvements (e.g., new libtool, better make distclean,
  build only shared libs by default).
* Portability fixes (especially for AIX, Linux (2.2, hppa, sparc), HP/UX,
  NetBSD, OS/2).
* Better documentation of internal functions (sanei).
* Various Documentation updates.
* Bugfixes.