[sane-devel] No-devices-error; SCSI question

Fri, 2 Aug 2002 14:45:09 +0200

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 06:47:55AM -0400, Haines Brown wrote:
> This adapter has two channels. I have the A channel connected to an
> ultra160 HD, and the B channel connected to legacy devives, including
> another HD. I use the external connector for Channel B for my scanner.
>
> The SCSI adapter has an unusual external connector, which is a 68-pin
> VeryHighDensity connector. In order to use it, I purchased a 68 VHD to
> 50-pin HighDensity coverter to suit my SCSI cable, which terminates in
> a 50-pin HD connection on the computer end and a SCSI I connector on
> scanner end. That end is terminated.
>
> When I booted, the scanner was recognized, and then when I run cat
> /proc/scsi/scsi, the scanner is seen correctly. But besides the SANE
> error message above, I was having trouble accessing some sub-folders
> on a legacy (Channel B) hard disk.
>
> Turns out that I was lucky to have gotten up at all. When I rebooted,
> all sorts of strange error messages that indicated problems synching
> Channel B. I found that having the scanner connected did not cause
> this, but simply the cable. Even a cable going nowhere caused me
> grief, but the little little converter does not.

Is termination set up correctly? The last internal HD and the scanner
is terminated, the host adapter and the converter is not? Maybe the
length of the cable (inside + outside) is just too long.

Maybe you need to set up something in the Adaptec BIOS, e.g. the
maximum transfer speed?