[sane-devel] Mustek 600IICD

yardbird frbiscani@libero.it
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 12:49:45 +0200

Hi all,

I have a problem with my scanner, an old Mustek 600IICD. I think it is more a
SCSI issue, forgive me if I am off topic but  I could not find any solution.

I'd like to connect the scanner to an Adaptec 2910 PCI SCSI controller. The
scanner ships with an ISA controller (detected by the kernel with the gNCR
module) which I don't want to use, for the reasons exposed in 'man
sane-scsi'. The scanner has two connectors: the firse looks like a parallel
port and must be used  with the ISA controller, the second is a small
standard scsi connector, like the external connector on the adaptec board.
When I plug the scanner in the PCI adapter I can see the device, and I can
also use it with sane. The problem is that it works very slowly and freezes
the machine while in use. A friend of mine told me this could be a
termination issue; when I use the scanner without termination and with
Windows and the ISA adapter, though, everything works fine (is this because
the ISA adapter is built to accept just a periphal and thus does not need
termination?). So the questions are:

1) can this be a termination problem?
2) if I have to terminate the scanner, can I terminate it on the other
connector, the one which looks like a parallel port (and what kind of scsi
connection is that)? I have no other switches on the scanner, just the scsi
id selector;
3) are there any parameters I should pass to insmod when loading aic7xxx.o
(the scsi adapter module)?

Thanks for your assistance, your help is really appreciated. Please answer by
mail since I am not subscribed to the list.

francesco