[sane-devel] HP 5490cse

Bertrik Sikken bertrik@zonnet.nl
Fri, 30 Aug 2002 15:46:54 +0200

Sunil William Savkar wrote:
> I currently have a 6300 HP which works fine with sane, but was thinking to
> upgrade to the 5490cse.  However, I do not see it as necessarily working
> with the HP backend.
>
> Anyone have any news on this?  I am just loathe to invest in a new scanner
> if I can't get it working with sane.  I really don't want to *ugh* swap
> back to a twain driver.

I analysed some USB snoopy logs of the HP5400/HP5470 and the data
transfer protocol doesn't look very complicated. I wrote a simple
tool that issue a command to the scanner to make it return its version
string. I don't have such a scanner myself and have not looked at
other commands that the scanner may accept, so a sane backend for
this scanner is still far away.

Bertrik