[sane-devel] HP ScanJet 5p on RH7.3 Linux?

Ray Curtis ray at ccux.com
Wed Aug 28 00:06:34 BST 2002

>>>>> "ojm" == Otto J Makela <om at iki.fi> writes:

    ojm> In principle, the HP ScanJet 5p should be a easy, SCSI-attached
    ojm> scanner well-supported by Linux.

    ojm> But no, I can't quite get it working when attached to a BusLogic SCSI
    ojm> card I have on my RH7.3 machine (I didn't even bother trying the
    ojm> pseudo-SCSI card that came with the scanner):

    ojm> # uname -a
    ojm> Linux tigger.otto.net 2.4.18-4smp #1 SMP Thu May 2 18:32:34 EDT 2002 i686 unknown
    ojm> # cat /etc/redhat-release
    ojm> Red Hat Linux release 7.3 (Valhalla)
    ojm> # rpm -qa | fgrep -i sane
    ojm> sane-backends-1.0.7-6.1
    ojm> xsane-0.84-2
    ojm> xsane-gimp-0.84-2
    ojm> sane-frontends-1.0.7-2
    ojm> # cat /proc/scsi/BusLogic/0
    ojm> ***** BusLogic SCSI Driver Version 2.1.15 of 17 August 1998 *****
    ojm> Copyright 1995-1998 by Leonard N. Zubkoff <lnz at dandelion.com>
    ojm> Configuring BusLogic Model BT-946C PCI SCSI Host Adapter
    ojm>   Firmware Version: 4.28D, I/O Address: 0xDC00, IRQ Channel: 17/Level
    ojm>   PCI Bus: 0, Device: 17, Address: Unassigned, Host Adapter SCSI ID: 7
    ojm>   Parity Checking: Enabled, Extended Translation: Disabled
    ojm>   Synchronous Negotiation: Fast, Wide Negotiation: Disabled
    ojm>   Disconnect/Reconnect: Enabled, Tagged Queuing: Enabled
    ojm>   Scatter/Gather Limit: 128 of 8192 segments, Mailboxes: 211
    ojm>   Driver Queue Depth: 211, Host Adapter Queue Depth: 100
    ojm>   Tagged Queue Depth: Automatic, Untagged Queue Depth: 3
    ojm>   Error Recovery Strategy: Default, SCSI Bus Reset: Enabled
    ojm>   SCSI Bus Termination: Enabled
    ojm> *** BusLogic BT-946C Initialized Successfully ***

    ojm> # cat /proc/scsi/scsi
    ojm> Attached devices:
    ojm> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 02 Lun: 00
    ojm>   Vendor: HP       Model: C5110A           Rev: 3638
    ojm>   Type:   Processor                        ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    ojm> Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
    ojm>   Vendor: PLEXTOR  Model: CD-R   PX-W1210A Rev: 1.07
    ojm>   Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02

This appears to be a problem, your card doesn't even recognize the
scanner.
However even if it did the Buslogic driver is broken until the
author fixes the problem, which is a shame since these cards
Buslogic are good multimaster cards.

The author,  Leonard N. Zubkoff <lnz at dandelion.com> was contacted the
first of the year about this from me, he said he was going to
look into the problem since at least a few people still use these
cards but so far nothing.

Good luck,

--
Ray Curtis