[sane-devel] Re: Darwin/MacOSX

Peter O'Gorman peter@pogma.com
Sun, 1 Dec 2002 23:29:02 +0900

On Sunday, December 1, 2002, at 09:49  PM, Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:

> Concerning configure.in/backend/Makefile.in: Can you check if the
> approach using LDFLAGS I use in CVS now also works on your system?
> This would avoid the special DARWIN flag in the Makefile. If it
> doesn't work (because of options order?), I'll use your patch.

Well, no the LDFLAGS won't work, -module needs to be passed to the
libsane-%.la target only, LDFLAGS is used by the libsane.la target too,
this should not be a module but a library. -module flags should be
passed to libtool on all systems when the object being created is going
to be runtime loaded, on darwin/Mac OS X things linked with libtool
using the -module flag may not be used as a dependent library for
another object, on elf systems the same object format is used for both
modules and libraries.

In other words, if a dynamic loader is found and shared libraries are
to be built then -module should be in the libsane-%.la target on *all*
systems. I didn't do that in my patch because darwin appears to be the
only operating system which actually cares.

Peter