[sane-devel] INFO: sane-devel mailing list doesn't use Reply-To: header

Tue, 3 Dec 2002 22:00:23 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 09:48:08PM +0100, Oliver Schwartz wrote:
> > Repeat: Please reply to the list unless the message is really
> > private.
>
> Why don't we set the Reply-to field so that replies are usually sent
> to the mailing list?

Well, that's a question for the Mailing list maintainer,
David Mosberger-Tang. Noone else can change this setting.

> Just in the exceptional case where the answer is really private the
> mailer has to change the To: field to the original poster. I'd find
> this much more convenient.

For me it doesn't matter much. The Reply-to approach makes replying to
the author more complicated because it requires manual fiddling with
the headers and overwrites existing reply-to headers. The current
setting just means to press the list-reply button as with most mailing
lists. You just have to remember to do it :-)

There is a text about the disadvanges of reply-to munging: