[sane-devel] How do i start to code a cardscan driver?

Sat, 14 Dec 2002 22:51:33 +0100

Hi,

On Sat, Dec 14, 2002 at 03:31:15PM -0600, Scar_t_ Morfo wrote:
> I have a CardScan 500 and its Vendor: 0x08f0 ID:001. I'm trying to make a
> driver for that device, but i dunno how to start, please somebody gimme a
> hint.

Get the latest SANE CVS (see
http://www.student.uit.no/~pere/linux/sane/cvs-server.html). Read
doc/backend-writing.txt.

Explanations of the internal SANE functions (e.g. USB access) can be
found at: http://sanei.meier-geinitz.de/

> The device is connected trough USB port and i have the driver for windows,
> but  i need it for linux, therefore i wanna code it.

Do you have the source code for the Winodws driver? That would be
good. Otherwise ask the manufacturer for peogramming documentation.
If you can't get neither the source code nor the programming
informantion it will be much harder. Try to find out which chips are
used in the scanner and if they are supported by another backend. If
they are not, use sniffing tools to capture the protocoll and try to
find out, what it means. Maybe
http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/misc/develop.html can help in this
case.