[sane-devel] Re: Epson Stylus cx3200 MFP

Wed, 25 Dec 2002 11:24:13 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, Dec 25, 2002 at 02:29:32AM +0100, M.B.W.D. Buitenhuis wrote:
> The present scanner module doesn't like multiple interfaces on the same
> device. So you have to change this.

Just for information: A patch that allow accepting devices with more
than one interface was accepted by the Linux USB maintainer so it will
most likely fixed in one of the next kernel versions.

> *After this create a new directory to a place of your choice i.e:
> "/usr/src/modules"
>

> *copy "/usr/src/<kernelversion>/drivers/usb/scanner.c" and
> "/usr/src/<kernelversion>/drivers/usb/scanner.h"
>
> to the above mentioned directory.

Why not copy first and edit the sources after that? So you still have
the unmodified sources.

> *Then compile a new module as follows, ofcourse as root (kernelversions
> 2.4.x):

No need to compile as root :-)

> "gcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/include -include
> /usr/src/linux/include/linux/modversions.h -c scanner.c"
>

> this will result in a "scanner.o" file.

If I remember correctly, modversions.h is only created after the kernel
was compiled once. So it won't work to just unpack a kernel. Maybe
there is a trick to only create this file without compilation?

> Copy this file to "/lib/modules/<kernelversion>/kernel/drivers/usb"

Making a backup of the old scanner.o may be a good idea :-)

Thanks for the description.