[sane-devel] xsane and xscanimage crash system

Scott Savarese scott@scottsavarese.com
Sun, 29 Dec 2002 13:46:03 -0500 (EST)

When I am logged in as a normal (non-root) user xsane and xscanimage will
crash (freeze) the system. I am unable to ctrl-alt-backspace,
ctrl-alt-delete, ctrl-alt-f?, and do anything. I am unable to test whether
the entire system is frozen or if it is just my console.

I am using the latest downloadable sane and xsane downloads (versions
1.0.9 and 0.90) on an HP PSC 2210. I downloaded the latest package from
hpoj.sourceforge.net and have that installed. I am running kernel 2.4.20

I try and run xsane, and it will start up without a problem. However when
I go to scan something it fails. A windows pops up saying there is an
error during I/O, and everything then locks up.

This doesn't happen when i am root, nor when I try and run strace to see
what is going on.

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Scott