[sane-devel] AGFA SnapScan e20: It's not in the scanimage list and don't work.

Oliver Schwartz Oliver.Schwartz@gmx.de
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 21:05:04 +0100

Hi,

> 7)  After as root, I launched "sane-find-scanner -v". The scanner was
> detected on /dev/usb/scanner0 as set in snapscan.conf.
>
> sane-find-scanner: searching for USB scanners:
> sane-find-scanner: checking /dev/usb/scanner0... open ok, vendor and
> product ids were identified sane-find-scanner: found USB scanner (vendor =
> 0x06bd, product = 0x2091) at device /dev/usb/scanner0 sane-find-scanner:

Fine.

> checking /dev/usbscanner... open ok, but vendor and product could NOT be
> identified sane-find-scanner: found USB scanner (UNKNOWN vendor and
> product) at device /dev/usbscanner sane-find-scanner: checking
> /dev/usbscanner0... failed to open (status 4)

> Why does sane-find-scanner
> find a scanner at /dev/usbscanner ?
>  If I delete this device, that could resolve my problem ???

This is strange indeed. If /dev/usbscanner exists it should have been created
as the same device node as /dev/usb/scanner0, i.e. it should have 180, 48 as
major and minor device number. Opening /dev/usbscanner than should give you
the same result as /dev/usb/scanner0.

On the other hand you only need one working device file, and
/dev/usb/scanner0 just looks fine. You can delete /dev/usbscanner, but if
you've already put /dev/usb/scanner0 into your snapscan.conf file it won't
fix your problem.

> 8)  After that I verified my environnemental variable:
> SANE_DEFAULT_DEVICE=snapscan:/dev/usb/scanner0
> SANE_CONFIG_DIR=/usr/local/etc/sane.d/snapscan.conf

Hm... SANE_CONFIG_DIR should point to a directory. You've set it to a file.
This would explain why the backend doesn't find it's configuration file (it
would look for /usr/local/etc/sane.d/snapscan.conf/snapscan.conf, which
probably does not exist).

> SANE_DEBUG_SNAPSCAN=255
>
> I launched the "scanimage > test10.pgm" but it didn't work:
>
> [snapscan] sane_snapscan_init: configuration file not found, defaulting to
> /dev/scanner. [snapscan] add_device(/dev/scanner)

You won't be able to access an USB scanner unless the configuration file is
found. This is probably due to the setting of SANE_CONFIG_DIR.

I suggest you start from scratch. Unset SANE_CONFIG_DIR (it defaults to
/usr/local/etc/sane.d, which is just fine) and possibly also
SANE_DEFAULT_DEVICE (I never tested it). Rebuild and reinstall.

As an alternative, put all configuration files from /usr/local/etc/sane.d
into a new directory /usr/local/etc/sane.d/snapscan.conf. This may work as a
quick fix, but I don't recommend it as a permanent solution.

Regards,

Oliver