[sane-devel] Proposal: Addition to SANE standard (vendor and scanner type strings)

Fri, 15 Feb 2002 23:27:07 +0100

Hi,

this is a proposal for updating section 4.2.8 ("Device Descriptor
Type") of the SANE starndard (see
http://www.mostang.com/sane/html/doc011.html).

The current list of type strings is:
flatbed scanner
frame grabber
handheld scanner
still camera
video camera
virtual device

I want to add (see discussion on sane-devel):

film scanner

Anny other types to add?

The current list of vendor strings is:

AGFA
Artec
Connectix
Epson
Hewlett-Packard
Kodak
Logitech
Microtek
Minolta
Mustek
Noname
UMAX

From a grep through the sources I found the following additional

vendor strings which I would like to add:

Abaton
Apple
CANON
Fujitsu
IBM
NEC
Plustek
Polaroid
Ricoh and RICOH (which one should be used?)
Sharp and SHARP (which one should be used?)
Siemens
Tamarack
V4L (really a vendor? shouldn't this be Noname?)

Please add those I probably missed.

As these updates don't need a change in sane/sane.h it can go into the
current standard IMHO. As there is no real change in API, the version
number would stay at 1.02.

Comments?