[sane-devel] One last try

Art Fore art_fore@3mts.com
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 06:08:00 -0800

I will try one more time to get the HP5300C to working before giving up. I
will download the 1.07 Sane, etc. and install them along with the latest
Gimp etc. I do have a few questions though

Is the patch for the avision mentioned in http://www.neatech.nl/oss/HP5300C/
still required?

If so, how do you do that, ie, what files etc. and details on this. I am new
to linux so don't know much about it yet.

Would also like some answers to the questions below.

I have had nothing but problems with linux and hardware. First it was
NVIDIA, then the PCMCIA, then the modem, then the sound, now the scanner.
Seems like everytime I get one thing working, something else breaks.
Hopefully linux will improve in that area.

Art

-----Original Message-----
From: Art Fore [mailto:art_fore@3mts.com]
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2002 4:05 AM
To: sane-devel@mostang.com
Subject: RE: [sane-devel] FW: Sus3 7.3, Sane 1.05, HP5300C

On http://www.neatech.nl/oss/HP5300C/ they talk about a usb-scsi module.
This does not show up in my kernel config, however, I have an hp53xx module.
There is also mention of a patch for the avision driver. Is this patch still
applicable or is it by this time already built in?

Should the scsi generic be as a module or compiled into the kernel?
Should the hp53xx module be compiled into the kernel or as a module?

Right now I have both compiled into the kernel and the cat /proc/scsi/scsi
does not work where it worked before and I would like to know what is the
right way. On one of the web articles, it said the scsi generic should be
compiled into the kernel, not as a module and the hp53xx should be as a
module, but that did not work either?

Art