[sane-devel] Sane is definately not Scanner Access Now Easy

Art Fore art_fore@3mts.com
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 14:05:18 -0800

Finally got it going. I done a make distclean, ./configure, make and make
install again for Xsane 0.84. Version now comes up with the with GIMP
support, compiled with GIMP-1.2.2 in xsane but not xscanimage. I put a link
in the ~/.gimp-1.2/plug-ins for Xsane in addition to the xscanimage that was
already there. Now I get the scanner under FILE acquire. Tested it and it
now works, although there are two devices in addition to Screen Shot shown,
XSane: Device dialog and Xsane: avision:'dev'scanner.

Documentation for all of this is spread all over and some of it is flat out
wrong, especially for these versions. Of course SuSE does not help either.
There should be one place for some howtos on installing scanners to work
with Xsane and Gimp.

I will try to reconstruct my steps and send in. Maybe someone can pretty it
up and post it so some else does not have to go through all of these
headaches. Every hardware installation takes anywhere from 4 days to two
weeks. Hopefully the Linux community and the hardware manufactures get their
act together, otherwise, Linux will never be on the home desktop except for
some linux gurus and a few technical people. So far installation of any
hardware including that that is already on the computer has been a
nightmare. Have almost give up a few time. Still don't have what I would
call a useable system for what I want. Still have some more to go, and this
after 4 months already. Sometime you install one thing and it breaks
something else.

Art