[sane-devel] Sane is definately not Scanner Access Now Easy

Thomas Niesel thomas_n@freenet.de
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 08:03:56 +0100

Hi Henning
..cut

> Maybe I got something wrong here but this is the story how I see it:
>
> * You want to use a scanner made by a manufacturer who doesn't provide
>   drivers for your operating system
> * the standard drivers that (most likely) come with your os don't support your
>   scanner (other operating systems don't even have scanner drivers
>   shipped with them)
> * someone wrote a driver for your scanner without beeing paid by you
>   or the manufacturer of the scanner. He even lets you access his development
>   tree before the release is done and before it's in your distribution's
>   package system.
> * you have quite a few questions about installation and running. Quite
>   some of them could have been solved by looking at the documentation.
>   Others result from compiling software on your own (and would have
>   existed with any other package)
> * About 10 people, quite some of them developers of the SANE system
>   you use, try to help in several ways. These are not paid support
>   people but the ones that actively use the code or even created it.
> * Your scanner works now.
>
> Probably tens or hundreds of hours have been spent to write a driver
> *for you* (and others). Hours have been spent by people trying to help
> *you*.
>
> And despite of all this you are constantly complaining about SANE and
> Linux.
>
> I will never understand this.

...cut

Yepp, great answer !
Some poeple coming from $WinSucks dont even think about this and maybe should
stay with that OS and call these _very_ cheap hotlines after paying
for a peace of hardware to get it running...

Do you have a copyright on this ???

I like to use it for other mailing-lists if you dont mind...

Thomas