[sane-devel] 'scanimage -L' fails first time with modular SCSI drivers

Mon, 25 Feb 2002 23:48:53 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 11:24:44PM +0100, Oliver Rauch wrote:
> > > what about /dev/uk0 - are there any modules when uk0 is used?
> >
> > Aren't those only used on *BSD? As we are talking about kernel modules
> > and /proc/scsi/scsi this looks pretty Linux-only for me.
>
> Ok, thats true.
> But may be there are other systems (BSD?) that also could get advance
> of sanei_attach_matching_devices().

At least FreeBSD, OS/2 and Irix implement sanei_scsi_find_devices().
But the patch is only necessary for operating systems that support
automatic loading of kernel SCSi modules. I don't know if this is
possible/common with anything but Linux.

> BTW: What happens when the user does not have the correct permissions
> for /dev/sg0 (or the device that is used to load modules)?

In my opinion: Bad luck. He or she should set /dev/scanner to the
correct device in this case. We can't catch every possible case. Keep
in mind that sanei_scsi_find_devices is called for every "scsi" entry
in the config files.