[sane-devel] Network protocol implementation

Tue, 26 Feb 2002 18:42:08 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 01:08:18PM +0100, Andre Herms wrote:
> The sane network protocol is no plain text protocol. So you cannot use telnet
> to trace it. It is more or less the sun rpc protocol. Nummeric parameters are
> transmitted as 4 byte of data, not as string. In the sane documantation you
> can find how it is encoded. But don't try to reimplement it by the specs
> given in the documentation. They are not up to date anymore.

I agree that it's easier to use the current code than to reeinvent the
wheel. But can you please go into more detail about the difference
between code and documentation? So we can either fix the docs or the
code.

> But if you really want to do some more with the protocol - don't waste your
> time. It is really ugly and has some bad race conditions and design failures.

Can you please describe both so we can avoid them for SANE2?