[sane-devel] umax_pp questions

Mon, 1 Jul 2002 13:03:38 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 06:03:49AM -0400, Steve Brenneis wrote:
> I have tried everything to figure out what the setup for using the
> umax_pp backend might be. When I was using the old umax_pp driver under
> RH7.1, I set an environment variable (SANE_DEFAULT_DEV, I think) to
> umax_pp:0x278 (or similar).

Probably SANE_DEFAULT_DEVICE. It's not necessary but this variable
preselects your scanner if you have more than one. See man scanimage
and man xscanimage.

> I had to be root then when using scanimage.

If I understand the manual page (sane-umax_pp) correctly, this is only
true if you don't want to use the kernel ppdev driver.

> I have looked through the man pages and they are not particularly
> helpful. Does anyone have an example of how to set up the backend for
> use with an HP3200C scanner?

What's your actual problem? Did you enable umax_pp in dll.conf? Did
you enter the correct port number in umax_pp.conf?

If your scanner still isn't found, the umax_pp developers may help you
better if you send the output of something like:

SANE_DEBUG_UMAX_PP=255 scanimage -L