[sane-devel] SANE and an Epson Perfection 1650 scanner

Jeremy O'Leary jeremy@biohabit.com
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 19:49:21 -0700 (PDT)

I have a Redhat 7.3 box and an Epson Perfection 1650 scanner (hooked up
via USB) that I can not get to work.  I should mention this is my first
ever attempt at using a scanner in linux so it is possible I just missed
something.  I am able to use other USB devices on my linux box and I have
taken the Epson 1650 to another computer running Win98 and everying
appears to work just fine.  Also, I am running the Ximian Desktop version
of sane.

When I launch xsane it gives me a dialog box saying "xsane: no device
available", but if I  cat /proc/bus/usb/devices

C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=40 MxPwr=  0mA
I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=hub
E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=   2 Ivl=255ms
T:  Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#=  2 Spd=12  MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 1.10 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff MxPS= 8 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=04b8 ProdID=0110 Rev= 3.02
S:  Manufacturer=EPSON
S:  Product=EPSON ScannerA

The vendor information does appear to be accurate and according to what I
have read the the Espon Perfection 1650 vendor and product info (0x04b8
0x0110) are correct.

If I run scanimage --list-devices, it reports "No scanners where
identified", but sane-find-scanner reports "found USB scanner (vendor =
0x04b8, product =0x0110) at device /dev/usb/scanner0"

I did edit /etc/modules.conf and added

options scanner vendor=04b8 product=0110

The next time I boot the system, I see an error message saying something
to the effect of drivers could not be found (I don't have the exact
text).

Any ideas?

thanks,

Jeremy