[sane-devel] Backend/manufacturer lists

Wed, 17 Jul 2002 17:33:12 +0200

Hi,

sane-desc.c was updated to version 0.9. I have also changed
doc/Makefile.in to use sane-desc.c. Try:

cd tools ; make sane-desc
cd ../doc ; make html-pages

You should get 4 pages: sane-backends(-external).html and
sane-mfgs(-external).html.

Here is a proposal for the SANE website:

http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/tmp/index.html

Only the links concerning supported devices work.

Changes in the latest update of sane-desc.c:

* The models on the manufacturer page are sorted alphanumerically now.
  That means "Perfection 600" should show up before "Perfection 1200".
* Also for the manufacturers list:
  If two backends provide entries for the same model, the model with
  the higher priority will overwrite the other one. If the priorities
  are the same, both entries are displayed. The priorities are
  calculated by the status values of the models: (alpha, beta, stable)
  have the highest priority, untested is medium and usnupported is low.
  The idea is to not confuse users with two entries of the same model
  (e.g. stable and unsupported).

Comments are welcome. E.g. should the models in the backends list be
also sorted? Should we really link to all 4 lists on the main page?
Spelling/wording?