[sane-devel] umax astra 1600 usb and sane on FreeBSD 4.6

Wed, 31 Jul 2002 17:45:06 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 11:57:50AM +0200, Thomas Niedermeier wrote:
>  did anyone get a umax scanner to work with sane 1.0.7?
>  my umax 1600u attaches to uscanner0 (as umax astra 2000u though), but
> when i  try "scanimage" i get the following:

[...]

>  [umax1220u] UMAX_open_device: `/dev/uscanner0'
>  [umax1220u] UMAX_open_device: sanei_usb_get_vendor_product failed
>  [umax1220u] ERROR: attach_scanner: opening /dev/uscanner0 failed
>  scanimage: open of device umax1220u:/dev/uscanner0 failed: Operation
> not supported
>  [umax1220u] sane_exit
>
>  any help would be appreciated

I'm just guessing: The backend tries to identify the scanner (vendor
and product) and gets the response that this is not possible (FreeBSD
uscanner driver can't do it). Usually that's no problem but the
umax1220u backend seems to insist on this identification.

There is a line

#ifndef NO_AUTODETECT

in the code (backend/umax1220u-common.c). Try
#define NO_AUTODETECT
and recompile. Maybe that's enough to get it running.

Probably the maintainer of this backend can tell more details.

You may also try the CVS version of sane-backends which has support for
libusb. This may work (if you have installed libusb).

Otherwise I guess the backend must be changed.