[sane-devel] film scanner recommendation

Karl Heinz Kremer khk@khk.net
Sun, 16 Jun 2002 09:24:39 -0400

--dc+cDN39EJAMEtIO

On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 02:44:35PM -0400, Roland Roberts wrote:
>=20
>     Witold> The resolution need not be much above 2000 dpi.  The price
>     Witold> however, is of concern, anything above $500 is out of
>     Witold> question.
>=20
> If you find something which meets these constraints, please let
> everyone know.  As someone who recently went on a search for a film
> scanner, I found nothing in the 2000dpi and up range for under $500.
> I elected to purchase a flatbed with a built-in transparency adapter
> in the lid, but....
>=20
>     Witold> Please do not suggest paper scanners with transparency
>     Witold> adapters.
>=20
> Since you ask me not, to, I won't.  But I suspect this is your best
> bet for meeting your price constraint.

I still don't suggest any particular flatbed, but you should at least
take a look at this review. It compares two flatbed scanners with
two film scanners:
http://www.virtualtraveller.org/epson2450p4.htm

There are more pages specifically about the EPSON Perfection 2540, but
just to get an idea about how good or bad a flatbed is compared to
a film scanner, this page should be sufficient.

BTW: The Acer ScanWit would be in your price range, I just don't know
if it's supported by Sane.

Karl Heinz

--=20
Karl Heinz Kremer                                  khk@khk.net