[sane-devel] unknown vendor using ls-40 with freebsd

Tue, 18 Jun 2002 20:09:00 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 11:25:18PM +1000, James Beard wrote:
> uscanner0: Nikon LS-40 ED, rev 1.10/1.10, addr 4

Good, it's detected by the uscanner driver.

> Now, where I used to get "failed to open (Invalid argument)" from
> sane-find-scanner, I'm getting the following:

sane-find-scanner first tries to open the usual devices. In this case
open failed because the device file wasn't "connected" to a kernel
driver.

> sane-find-scanner
> -----------------
> sane-find-scanner: found USB scanner (UNKNOWN vendor and product) at
> device /dev/uscanner
> sane-find-scanner: found USB scanner (UNKNOWN vendor and product) at
> device /dev/uscanner0

Now the open succeeded which means there is some sort of driver that
answers to /dev/uscanner0. Hopefully it's the uscanner driver :-)

The vendor and device ids can't be detected under FreeBSD because (as
far as I know) the uscanner driver doesn't provide this facility.
There might be workarounds, however (patches welcome).

So everything is ok.

> Some progress, but I'm out of leads.  Any ideas on what I should try
> next?

As automatic configuration doesn't work with FreeBSD, you must edit
the config file (I guess /usr/local/etc/sane.d/coolscan2.conf in your
case). Probably a line like "usb:/dev/uscanner" will work, but I don't
own any Nikon scanners.

More details are in man sane, sane-usb and sane-coolscan2.