[sane-devel] SANE 1.0.5 -> 1.0.8 *help*! (long)

Sun, 30 Jun 2002 02:11:55 +0200

Hi,

On Sat, Jun 29, 2002 at 10:56:43PM +0200, Journeyman wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Jun 2002 11:48:26 +0200
> Henning Meier-Geinitz <henning@meier-geinitz.de> wrote:
>
> > Aren't there any sane-backends-1.0.8 RPMs from Mandrake?
>
> As far as I've been told, no. Just the libsane and libsane-devel.

Can't you use this one:

http://rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/cooker/cooker/i586/Mandrake/RPMS/sane-backends-1.0.8-1mdk.i586.html

> The reason is that you keep using the same libs while upgrading the
> back/frontends.

The backends are libraries. The important part of sane are the
backends. That's what usually changes most during releases.

> Now the funny part is that I have libs 1.0.5 and BOTH backends 1.0.5
> (from default MDK RPM installation) and 1.0.8 (from a tarball that I
> have compiled and installed: they are located in different places:

That's normal. Distributions install to /usr while external packages
are installed to /usr/local.

> sane-find-scanner and scanimage work if launched from /usr/local/bin
> (of course, only 1.0.8 supports my scanner). And now the question:
> how can I tell xsane to search for sane files in the 1.0.8
> directory?!

Try something like
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib

(Untested).

If this doesn't work, you could try to rename
/usr/lib/libsane.so.1.0.5 to something else and run ldconfig. Also
make sure that /usr/local/lib is listed in /etc/ld.so.conf.