[sane-devel] Trust Easy connect 9600 plus howto

Jan Keirse jan.keirse at pandora.be
Mon Jun 24 09:24:45 BST 2002

On Sun, 23 Jun 2002, Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Jun 23, 2002 at 01:34:13PM +0200, Jan Keirse wrote:
> > it took a hell lot of time and it shouldn't have, so I've written a howto
> > to make it easier for others.
> > http://users.pandora.be/tux/sane/
>
> Some corrections/clarifications:
>
> The file name of the configuration file for the dll backend is
> "dll.conf" not "ldd.conf".
Oeps, typo
> If the mustek_pp backend is commented out
> here (and it always is) it won't be loaded at runtime. But it is
> compiled nevertheless. That means, you can also edit
> /usr/local/etc/sane.d/dll.conf after compiling/installing SANE.
I see

> During installation, the existing .conf files are NOT overwritten. To
> avoid keeping old files, do "make uninstall" before "make install".
> Then edit the files in /usr/local/etc/sane.d/ . This makes your
> procedure easier.
Yes indeed, I've updated it

> 5  Configuring saned
>
> ... Saned is a server ... (not SANE).
oeps ;-)

> Concerning your security concerns: ususally saned shouldn't be started
> as root but in your case you have no choice. So it's ok provided you
> deny access from outside and trust your local users.
I see, but would it not be possible to chown (or chgrp) the /dev/lp0 or
wherever the scanner is to a new group/user and run the server as this new
group/user? (I don't know, I thought this was possible, but I'm not sure)

> You don't need to add localhost to saned.conf because local users are
> allowed by default.
I see

> Just nitpicking: with /etc/init.d/inetd restart only inetd is rstarted
> (something like "killall -HUP inetd), saned is only started when a
> request to port 6566 is received.
Ow, I didn't know that, so what you're saying is that the servers in inetd
are only started when they are needed and or not active otherwise?

> Do you know why you need to set the debug level? Is this also needed
> if you scann (as root) directly with scanimage not using saned?
It didn't work if I didn't set it.

Greets,

Jan

--

Codito ergo sum - /(bb|[^b]{2})/ that is the Question
Jan Keirse: jan.keirse at pandora.be Tel.: +32 51 22 11 82