[sane-devel] Epson 1650 on Solaris 8

Kip Iles kiplandiles at msn.com
Tue Jun 25 18:12:29 BST 2002

While comparing output from an Epson Perfection 1650 Photo scanner via
Solaris 8's generic usb_mid (multi-interface driver), I receive the
following debug output ....

$ scanimage -d epson -T -v
[sanei_debug] Setting debug level of epson to 128.
[epson] sane_init: sane-backends 1.0.8
[epson] sane_init, ># epson.conf<
[epson] sane_init, >#usb /dev/usb/epsonscan0<
[epson] sane_init, >usb /dev/usb/device0<
[epson] sane_init, >usb /dev/usb/device0<
[epson] attach(usb /dev/usb/device0)
[epson] SANE Epson Backend v0.2.21 - 2002-04-22
[epson] attach(usb /dev/usb/device0)
[epson] attach: opening usb /dev/usb/device0
[epson] send buf, size = 2
[epson] buf[0] 1b .
[epson] buf[1] 40 @
[epson] error in receive - status = 6
[epson] receive buf, expected = 1, got = -1
[epson] get_identity_information()
[epson] send buf, size = 2
[epson] buf[0] 1b .
[epson] buf[1] 49 I
[epson] ident failed
[epson] sane_open()
scanimage: open of device epson failed: Invalid argument

How do I really interpret this. I see that an INIT was sent but an error
(status=6) was returned and -1 was the size of the receive buffer. Does this
mean that the scanner is just not answering (nobody home)? Sane-find-scanner
DOES see a device at this device node ...

[sanei_debug] Setting debug level of sanei_usb to 128.
[sanei_usb] sanei_usb_open: fd 3 opened
[sanei_usb] sanei_usb_get_vendor_product: fd 3: Your OS doesn't seem to
support detection of vendor+product ids
sane-find-scanner: found USB scanner (UNKNOWN vendor and product) at device
/dev/usb/device0
[sanei_usb] sanei_usb_close: closing fd 3

I didnt really expect it to, using this driver. I was just wondering. I am
still working with Philip Brown at Bolthole trying to convert his driver to
64 bit UltraSparcII architecture.