[sane-devel] difficulty with jp scanjet 3300c (usb)

---(rick moranis)--- iamdeus5 at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 27 01:13:02 BST 2002

i just joined this list earlier today in an attempt to get my scanner (hp
scanjet 3300c) working under linux. everything looked like it was going well
until i got to the "testtool" part. i emailed the authors of the programs
but i haven't recieved a response so i thought this might be a good idea.
this is what was sent to the authors:

i was very excited to see that one of my scanners was supported under linux
even with usb. i assumed it wouldn't work so i didn't even bother to look
around. after a boring night i thought i would make it a project to get my
scanner working and that's how i ended up at your site. i installed
sane-1.08 without any problems. after following the directions
(http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~bertrik/hp3300c/README.html) exactly it seemed
that it would only be a few command lines before i was scanning. my first
attempte was under xsane but i noticed that it didn't detect my scanner. i
tried testtool and recieved this: wackness at sliz:/download/testtool$
./testtool
Segmentation fault

i checked to see if my scanner was detected using sane-fine-scanner and i
got this out:
wackness at sliz:/download/testtool$ sane-find-scanner
# Note that sane-find-scanner will find any scanner that is connected
# to a SCSI bus and some scanners that are connected to the Universal
# Serial Bus (USB) depending on your OS. It will even find scanners
# that are not supported at all by SANE. It won't find a scanner that
# is connected to a parallel or proprietary port.

# You may want to run this program as super-user to find all devices.
# Once you found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access
# permissions as necessary.

sane-find-scanner: found USB scanner (vendor = 0x03f0, product = 0x0205) at
device /dev/usb/scanner0
sane-find-scanner: found USB scanner (vendor = 0x03f0, product = 0x0205) at
device /dev/usbscanner
sane-find-scanner: found USB scanner (vendor = 0x03f0, product = 0x0205) at
device /dev/usbscanner0

i'm only using one scanner, but it looks like it found a duplicate. i did
mknod to create /dev/usbscanner0 and then ln -s for /dev/usbscanner.
any advice would be helpful. i think the problem might be with testtool. i
get an error while trying to compile it.
wackness at sliz:/download/testtool$ make
gcc -Wall   -c -o main.o main.c
gcc -Wall   -c -o hp3300c_xfer.o hp3300c_xfer.c
In file included from hp3300c_xfer.c:51:
/usr/local/include/usb.h:39: warning: `USB_DT_HID' redefined
/usr/include/linux/usb.h:57: warning: this is the location of the previous
definition
/usr/local/include/usb.h:40: warning: `USB_DT_REPORT' redefined
/usr/include/linux/usb.h:58: warning: this is the location of the previous
definition
/usr/local/include/usb.h:41: warning: `USB_DT_PHYSICAL' redefined
/usr/include/linux/usb.h:59: warning: this is the location of the previous
definition
/usr/local/include/usb.h:42: warning: `USB_DT_HUB' redefined
/usr/include/linux/usb.h:60: warning: this is the location of the previous
definition
gcc -Wall   -c -o hp3300c.o hp3300c.c
gcc -Wall   -c -o hp3400c.o hp3400c.c
gcc -lm -lusb  -o testtool main.o hp3300c_xfer.o hp3300c.o hp3400c.o

if i should be asking someone else for help, could you point me in the right
direction? oh, i'm trying to use the kernel method, but without devfs. it is
instead /proc under the kernel. thanks!