[sane-devel] Encoding of backend translations

Oliver Rauch oliver.rauch@rauch-domain.de
Fri, 01 Mar 2002 17:37:15 +0100

mh wrote:

> I'm no i18n expert and my suggestion was only based on my own tests. I
> recoded the translations included in SANE-1.0.7 to utf8, and couldn't see any
> problems with xsane, although it seems to use gettext 0.10.35.
> Nevertheless, what's the solution? Is it possible, to add a configure option
> like "--enable-utf8-encoding" and then use a script, which runs "recode" on
> the .po files? Or should I just ask people to recode it themselves (not so
> nice)?

Hello Michael,

it is planned to define the po files as the common standard files for
sane. A frontend will be responsible to create its own formats from this.
I don`t think we should include the conversion of the po files into
several different file formats or text encodings into the sane package.
This should be done by the applications. Othwerwise we will have to
handle gettext and qt files in different text encoding versions.

Why does KDE make a step back and uses i18n routines that are not able
to handle encodings that are used very often and are normally no problem
to handle?

Bye
Oliver

--