[sane-devel] Redhat 7.1, hotplug, modprobe, and an Epson usb scanner

E. Joshua Rigler Jrigler@colorado.edu
01 Mar 2002 14:53:52 -0700

I have been extremely pleased with the performance of my new Epson 1650
photo scanner under Linux using SANE.  Now I would like to figure out
how to automatically load the scanner.o module when I try to access the
scanner.

I'd like to do this without having to explicitly load the module in my
init scripts.  After browsing the SANE faq, and the mailing lists,
everyone seems to be saying that the hotplug package will do this.  I
seem to have hotplug installed (although I have no idea how it works),
but I still get a "no devices available" error when I try to start xsane
(scanimage -L just exits quietly).

I'm quite certain this is not a USB issue, since usbview recognizes my
scanner, and I can manually load my scanner module with no problem.  Has
anyone else had this problem?  Do I need to put my vendor IDs in one of
those map files in the /etc/hotplug directory (in addition to putting
them in my modules.conf file as an "options" line)?  Which one?  What
are the important columns?

Thanks for any feedback.

-EJR