[sane-devel] New Backend newbie question

Sun, 3 Mar 2002 13:52:03 +0100

Hi,

On Sat, Mar 02, 2002 at 03:03:17PM -0800, Erik Strack wrote:
>   What does it normally take to get a sane backend integrated into the
> distribution?

In principle: Find a developer who checks the backend and includes it
into CVS. See also doc/backend-writing.txt for details. There have
been similar questions on sane-devel during the last months, so you can
find more information in the archives, too.

>    I'd like to get the Viceo backend integrated in, written by Steven
> Ellis and K W Lee.

If I remember correctly, this was discussed some time ago on
sane-devel, maybe you can find it in the archive.

I had a look at the code at
http://www.littlecms.com/iphoto/otlinux.htm . If there is newer code,
please let me know.

With the current code and as far as I'm concerned: no way.

>    This backend is based on code graciously released by Visioneer --
> obviously not under NDA because it's freely available.

So there is no explicit license? At least for me (as a German) this
means we have to follow the normal regulations of the law
("Urheberrechtsgesetz"). So everybody can download the original code
from the orginator (Visioneer), if he allows that, but it's not allowed
to change the code or to publish it at all.

The current code itsself may be against the GPL, because it uses SANE
functions but isn't GPLed itsself. Or, from a different point of view:
It makes all the code GPLed. The SANE clause may make an exception
here, but it's intention was linking against SANE backend libraries,
not including parts of the SANE infrastructure.

But I am not a lawyer...

>    But it's my understanding that this poses a critical problem in
> getting the Viceo backend integrated into Sane?  (Since the
> Windows-originating code is not released under GNU GPL?  But it was
> released to the public, just maybe not with a GNU-style license...)

Books are also released to the public but without a license to copy
them, you will be in trouble when you start to make copies and sell
them.

Open Source doesn't automatically mean Free Software.

>    This is quite frustrating for me, as I use my scanner a lot and
> mostly use Linux now... Support is quite good, including front-panel
> buttons.  I'd like to see support in the distros like Red Hat and
> Mandrake some day so I don't have to keep hacking and re-compiling
> forever...

Ask Visioneer to release the code as GPL(+ SANE exception, if they
like). The orginal author can use multiple licences, if he likes. If
Visioneer makes an explicit statement, that the software is public
domain, that's ok, too. By public domain I mean: "Do whatever you like
with this software, including relicensing".

>    And I would think it's a good thing if the manufacturer releases
> their code and it can be used under Linux.  That saves potentially years
> of time of writing, debugging, and optimizing the code to support the
> various chipsets, interfaces, and configurations... Hmm

Yes, but it must be clear that the code can be used in GPLed programs.
If the author allows this explicitely, everything is ok.

I didn't look too closely, but there are other issues with this
backend. From the .cpp names it looks like c++, but only c is allowed
in SANE. And these many files must be included in one or some few
files and follow the naming scheme (viceo_*).