[sane-devel] How to find out if USB is available for compilation

Thu, 7 Mar 2002 23:18:42 +0100

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 01:27:53PM -0600, Frank Zago wrote:
> Every backend is linked with libusb though!

Yes. Every backend is linked with every library that's needed by at
least one backend. That's true for e.g. libdl and libjpeg, too. That's
just a way to make linking simple. To be honest, I don't really
understand all this shared libs linking, e.g. why libjpeg is linked to
linsane*.so *and* to the frontends. But as it seems to work it must be
ok (?).

> On a side note, only linux can use the UMAX 2200 usb because the backend
> needs to send control messages to the device.

True. I thought about using other ways to support control messages on
e.g. FreeBSD. One way would be to use generic USB devices instead of
uscanner. But in this case you get the same problems as with libusb,
e.g. you don't know which device is a scanner.