[sane-devel] 1.0.7 can't find Microtek X6EL

K. Holcomb kholcomb@cs.virginia.edu
Fri, 8 Mar 2002 21:40:29 -0500 (EST)

>> On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 05:17:42PM -0500, K. Holcomb wrote:
>> > I am running RedHat 7.2, which came originally with sane 1.0.5.  My Microtek
>> > X6EL was not detected by sane-find-scanner even though it shows up in
>> > /proc/scsi/scsi.  In light of the FAQ answer concerning sane 1.0.5 and scanners
>> > that do not report a vendor string (which it does not do),
>>
>> This problem is only with scanimage (and other frontends), not with
>> sane-find-scanner. The frontends will work if you add /dev/scanner (or
>> wherever your scanner is located) to the backend config file instead
>> of only a "scsi vendor product" line.

    Actually, sane-find-scanner hangs indefinitely.

>> > cat /proc/scsi/scsi gives
>> > Attached devices:
>> > Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
>> >   Vendor:          Model: scanner 636EL    Rev: 1.20
>> >   Type:   Scanner                          ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>> > Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
>> >   Vendor: IOMEGA   Model: ZIPCD1024INT-A   Rev:  1.1
>> >   Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>> >
>> > The IOMEGA is a CD burner and it is actually using the ide-scsi interface.
>> > Those of us with ATAPI CD burners have no choice but to use this module.
>>
>> I remember that some people had problems with ide-scsi in combination
>> with SANE, maybe you can try to disable it while testing.

   OK, I unloaded the ide-scsi module and tried the exact debug line you
   specified (I had used something from the microtek2-backend man page
   before).  The result was

sane-find-scanner: searching for SCSI scanners:
[sanei_debug] Setting debug level of sanei_scsi to 255.
[sanei_debug] Setting debug level of sanei_scsi to 255.
[sanei_scsi] sanei_scsi_find_devices: vendor=(null) model=(null) type=Scanner
	bus=0 chan=0 id=6 lun=0  num=0
[sanei_scsi] lx_chk_id: 0,0  0,0  6,6  0,0
[sanei_scsi] lx_chk_devicename: matched device(direct): /dev/sg0
[sanei_scsi] get_max_buffer_size for /dev/sg0: 131072
[sanei_debug] Setting debug level of sanei_scsi to 255.
[sanei_scsi] sanei_scsi_open: sanei_scsi_max_request_size=131072 bytes

  at which point sane-find-scanner hung.

>> Other ideas: Are the sg devices present and having correct major/minor
>> numbers (ls -l /dev/sg*)? If they are links, do the files to which
>> they point have the corrrect permissions for the user? Especially if
>> you use devfs have a look at man sane-scsi. But as you tried as root,
>> this doesn't seem to be the problem.

  I have /dev/sg0 through sg9.  /dev/sg0 is

crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root      21,   0 Jan 31 22:24 /dev/sg0

  and there is a symbolic link from /dev/scanner to /dev/sg0 (the usual
  setup, at least in RedHat).

>> Otherwise, try "SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_SCSI=255 sane-find-scanner -v", this
>> provides quite a lot of debugging outout.
   [See above]

>> > I generated a log file from scanimage but it's not very interesting:
>> > scanimage: no SANE devices found
>>
>> You did "SANE_DEBUG_MICROTEK2=255 scanimage -L" and that was the only
>> output? That's very suspicous.

    For that line (I used something slightly different) I get

    Well, it's not detected by sane-find-scanner so there's no hope that
    scanimage would find it.

    I am running kernel 2.4.17-0.16smp

    I have used this same scanner in the past, but I think the last
    version of sane I used was 1.0.