[sane-devel] Network protocol packet sizes

Oliver Rauch oliver.rauch@rauch-domain.de
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 22:40:55 +0100

Dave Close wrote:
> Yes, it's called a maximum buffer size, but the
> implication is that that is the optimum size transfer for the frontend.
> A properly written backend should attempt to honor that request and not
> respond with less without a good reason.

Hello Dave,

it does not make sense to store the data in the net backend.
This would rather increase the cpu usage than decreasing it.
There is not much overhead for a read command (and if there is
much overhead than it is the fault of the frontend).
Why should a frontend have an "optimum transfer size"?
The frontend needs all the data and why should sane-net
wait when it has data for the frontend.

I don`t think we should change this in sane-net, it increases
the memory usage of sane net and increases the time the frontend
has to wait for sane-net to return.

I do not see any advantage of your suggestion.

Bye
Olive

--
Homepage:	http://www.rauch-domain.de