[sane-devel] Introduction

Fri, 15 Mar 2002 23:25:37 +0100

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 08:08:08PM -0800, Benjamin Pierce wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>   My name is Benjamin Pierce.  I am joining this list
> because I am trying to get my new HP4400c working with
> my linux box.  I looked through the archives and found
> that the 4400c was not yet supported.  I also did some
> research and found ways to document what the scanner
> was doing.  I have included some usbtraces using
> USBSnoop with a modified filter from Bertrik
> Sikken(thanks).  Since I know very little about
> coding, especially drivers, I was wondering if anyone
> would be willing to delve into this project.  Even if
> you do not have a 4400c yourself, I am perfectly
> willing and able to give any and all debug output or
> information that you need.

I don't want to disappoint you but my experience is that you can't
develop a new backend without actually having the device available.
It's good to have testers and the logs from USBSnoop can help to
identify the devices and their protocol. But you will need someone who
has such a device and wants to program a backend (if the scanner is
not already supported by another backend).

> //And these are three of the communications during the initial communication of the HP software to the scanner.

Yes, but the buffers are missing? The buffers contain the interesting
data (e.g. commands).

> 00011459  2.49231280  >>>>>>> URB 7580 going down...
> 00011506  2.51308240  <<<<<<< URB 7582 coming back...
> 00011516  2.51728320  >>>>>>> URB 7583 going down...

There are answers for questions that haven't been asked (or to be
exact, that aren't in the log) :-)

If you put the full log onto a website maybe someone will have a look
at it.