[sane-devel] Epson 1650 Photo problems, Epson-KAWA is no SANE frontend

Karl Heinz Kremer khk@khk.net
Sun, 17 Mar 2002 16:09:58 -0500

--UlVJffcvxoiEqYs2

On Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 08:28:03PM +0100, Thomas Wenrich wrote:
> Hi there,
>=20
> After some hours trying the new Epson-KAWA frontend I think this should
> NOT be called a 'SANE frontend'; it comes with it's own backend called
> 'epson' which looks incompatible to the epson backend currently in
> SANE(CVS).

It's based on an earlier version of the "real" backend. It is a=20
SANE backend, and the IScan software uses the Sane protocol to=20
talk to this backend. So technically it is a Sane frontend. If
you want to use IScan and Sane on the same machine, you can
use a shell script wrapper for IScan that first sets the=20
LD_LIBRARY_PATH so that it finds the iscan libraries.

>=20
> First, I installed SANE from sources below /usr/local and the Kawa thing
> from the RPM, giving me 'can't send command to scanner' messages due to
> a) a Bug in the SANE epson.c (Patch enclosed)

The reset() function should never be called when the scanner
device is not open. At least I am not aware of a situation=20
where this would happen. Did you experience this only with
IScan, or also with standard Sane frontends?

> b) different option names used in epson-KAWA and epson-SANE (e.g. "User
> Defined (Gamma 1.8)" [Kawa] vs. "User Defined" [Sane] for one of the
> Gamma correction options).

The option name used by IScan is what I used with Sane 1.0.5, but
changed since. I am however considering going back to the
old syntax and using two hardcoded gamma values agan (1.0 and 1.8).

[ ... ]
>=20
> After discovering my install problem (iscan+backend in /usr, SANE in
> /usr/local) I installed iscan+backend also in /usr/local. Now iscan
> works, but I can't get xsane to display previews.

I will look into this.

>=20
> I think it would be useful to state on the SANE pages that iscan
> requires its own [incompatible] backend.=20
> Will there be a merge between Kawa and sane-epson ?

Yes. EPSON KOWA just released a new version, and I wanted to
wait for this before I merge their changes back into my backend.

Karl Heinz

--=20
Karl Heinz Kremer                                  khk@khk.net
PGP Key at                 http://www.khk.net/download/khk.asc