[sane-devel] picking a robust sheetfed scanner

Oliver Rauch oliver.rauch@rauch-domain.de
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 16:21:05 +0100

Dave Thomas wrote:

> I'm a little new at linux scanning.
> I need an sheetfed scanner/app that does the following:
>
> 1.  User puts a stack of documents on scanner
> 2.  User clicks a button on an X window (or maybe they fill in a form)
> 3.  Scanner scans everything at 200 dpi, full-duplex, preferably > 25ppm
> and saves it all as GIFs in a folder on the hard drive.
>
> No I refuse to do windows.  This'll take some databasing too but that's
> outside of this current problem.
>
> Any suggestions?

Hi Dave,

You will not find any tools that support the fileformat gif
with LZW compression due to lzw license. Other gif formats make no
sense. When you can work with e.g. jpeg or png then you should
take a look at xsane as frontend.

For the scanner/backend take a look at
http://www.mostang.com/sane/

Bye