[sane-devel] libtool update

Sun, 24 Mar 2002 15:51:27 +0100

Hi,

I have just commited an updated libtool (1.4.2) to CVS. Please test.

There were several problems:

- The local changes applied to libtool 1.3.4 had to be ported. As the
  structure of ltmain.sh was changed completely, I'm not sure if I did
  it right.
  SANE does the following: (shared) libaries are named
  "libsane-backendname.so.version" but their internal name (soname) is
  "libsane.so.version". So after installation, every backend can be
  renamed (or linked) to libsane.so and Frontends will use it.
- For some reason this doesn't work on AIX, because there the library
  name is constructed from soname. This means, all libs are named
  "libsane.so", therfore only one lib is created. I disabled the
  soname patch for AIX. If anyone has a solution for this, please
  contact me.
- With the new libtool on AIX archives (.a) are created instead of
  simple shared libraries. I had to disable this in configure.in to
  allow dynamic loading without further tricks.
- Without a local change Irix creates libraries like this:
  libsane-mustek.so.2.7. The major number is to high.