[sane-devel] AT3 Weirdness

abel deuring a.deuring@satzbau-gmbh.de
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 22:58:29 +0100

"Michael S. Moulton" wrote:

> I just got an Artec AT3 from a friend this weekend... I'm using the ISA SCSI card that came with it.
>
> I've got it working in both Windows and Linux, so I know everything works ok, but I am getting some weird behavior.

> modprobe g_NCR5380 dtc_3181e=1 ncr_addr=0x240
> seems to only detect the scanner if the scanner is on and ready when I load the module.  Once the module is loaded, if I turn the scanner on it is not detected.
>
> Do I need to just load the module whenever I need the scanner and unload it when I'm done, or am I missing something?

Michael,

the adapter driver scans the SCSI bus for available devices, when it is
loaded. If the scanner is powered on later, it will not be "visible".
The sane-scsi man page has a hint what you can do in this case:

       A common issue with SCSI scanners is what to do  when  you
       booted  the  system  while the scanner was turned off?  In
       such a case, the scanner won't be recognized by the kernel
       and  SANE  won't be able to access it.  Fortunately, Linux
       provides a simple mechanism to  probe  a  SCSI  device  on
       demand.   Suppose you have a scanner connected to SCSI bus
       2 and the scanner has a SCSI id of 5.  When the system  is
       up and running and the scanner is turned on, you can issue
       the command:

              echo  "scsi  add-single-device   2   0   5   0"   >
              /proc/scsi/scsi

       and the kernel will probe and recognize your scanner (this
       needs to be done as root).  It's also possible to  dynami­
       cally  remove  a SCSI device by using the ``remove-single-
       device'' command.  For details, please  refer  to  to  the
       SCSI-Programming-HOWTO.

From your other mail:

> If I have been using the scanner, then turn it off (without
> unloading the kernel module), if I try to access the
> scanner (i.e., running sane-find-scanner), I can no longer
> access it again (on or off) or unload the kernel module
> (Device or Resource Busy error) without a reboot.

This might be caused by the very long SCSI command timeout value (10
minutes) used until recently in Sane, so, waiting 10 minutes before
reloading the driver might help.

Abel