[sane-devel] HELP! "Error during read: Error during device I/O" - HP 6250C over USB

David McNab david@rebirthing.co.nz
29 Mar 2002 10:42:08 +1200

Hi,

Can someone please help?

I'm getting frequent instances of:
"Error during read: Error during device I/O" on Xsane.

My specs:

CPU:		AMD Athlon Thunderbird 750
Motherboard:	Gigabyte GA-7IXE4
Chipset:	AMD 750
RAM:		640MB
DISK:		heaps
OS:		debian/testing
Kernel:		2.4.17, no patches
USB module:	usb-ohci
Xsane:		v0.84 from debian/unstable
Scanner:	HP Scanjet 6250C, connected via USB

Symptoms:

When I start xsane, the first preview usually works.
Second and subsequent previews usually fail.
First scan rarely works, at low-ish resolution (300dpi). Always fails at
higher resolutions.
Subsequent scans almost always fail.
Colour mode (colour, greyscale, lineart, halftone etc) doesn't seem to
affect it.
Shutting down and restarting xsane seems to take me back to the start -
ie, first preview again works.

Can someone please suggest remedial action?

Many thanks in hope
David